LOCATION: Ideally UK (London or Stevenage); potential for Philadelphia
Gyroscope: Vision for Life
Gyroscope Therapeutics is building something special – a company to preserve people’s sight and fight the devastating impact of blindness around the world. And if we are successful, our gene therapies and surgical devices will offer people the chance to see what they otherwise would have missed.
To be successful we need the right people. People who have passion for helping patients. People who can work as one toward a common goal, have fun and together bring forward the best ideas. People who celebrate success and embrace failure as an opportunity to learn and grow. If you are one of these people, we would love to meet you.
Head of Pipeline and Portfolio Strategy:
He/she will be responsible for a portfolio of in-house drug development programmes and partnered programmes. This individual will also manage a team of programme directors and managers in charge of day to day management of individual programmes. He/she will work with the Chief of Staff to drive the strategic orientation and execution of the portfolio, in line with the company’s strategy.
The Head of Pipeline and Portfolio Strategy will lead the Portfolio Review Board alongside the function heads (Chief Scientific Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Head of CMC, and Head of Commercial Operations).
What we will expect from the Head of Pipeline and Portfolio Strategy:
- Lead the Portfolio Review Board, driving the strategic orientation and providing oversight of the entire portfolio of in house and partnered programmes, managing resource pinch points and ensuring prioritisation of resources and executive focus.
- Define, schedule and deliver project and pipeline roadmap.
- Present operational and strategic recommendations on the portfolio to senior executives driving decision-making and issue resolution around execution of the portfolio through the governance.
- Develop and embed portfolio management tools and best practices across all programmes (inhouse and partnered), including programme management, governance, reporting and budget.
- Manage resource capacity to endure delivery of projects and programmes.
- Oversee and drive the development, maintenance, and alignment of accurate, integrated timelines, resourcing projections and dependencies (budget and people), and cross functional plans across programmes.
- Ensure project management team’s work complies with strategy, established practices, policies, and processes.
Lead, manage, inspire and mentor a team of programme directors and managers to deliver an efficient project-based organisation.
- Accountable for delivery of programme-driven business plans, budgets and forecasts as needed, reporting actual performance against plan, identifying and analysing key variances against plan, highlighting critical path activities, anticipating risks, and creating contingency plans.
- Generate analyses to facilitate scenario planning, contingency planning, risk assessment and management, problem solving, and decision-making.
- As Head of the PPS team, deliver independent periodic management reports (e.g. monthly reports, programme milestones, dashboards).
Support Business Development activities by providing high level Project Management input for due diligence efforts and on the device partnered programmes:
o Project manage to cost with eye on margin from partners and contribute towards device business model as it becomes defined in more detail
o Establish and implement standards, protocols and SOPs that can be applied consistently across device programmes
o Identify and strategically drive partners towards datasets to support the Orbit SDS value proposition and reimbursement strategy
o Support external partner discussions as required
What we will look for in your skills and experience:
- Masters or Doctoral degree in biology, genetics or related field
Demonstrable experience in the life-sciences, pharmaceutical industry with deep experience in programme management at portfolio level in big pharma and/or biotech
- Gravitas and credibility to gain trust with stakeholders
- Experience in negotiation and influencing skills
- Leadership experience in international and multidisciplinary drug development teams and broad operational experience with an understanding of drug development process
- Expert planning and tracking skills, able to see big picture, well-organised, focused on results, capable of managing multiple projects, excellent time management with respect to priorities and self-management
- Proven track record of managing and developing programme team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for bridging between scientific and business participants, for negotiating timelines and for effective collaboration.
- Ability to analyse, synthesise detailed plans and communicate top line messages and implications to the executive team and external stakeholders
- Experience working with external partners (eg in-licensed programmes/joint steering committee)
- Expertise in use of project management software solutions, including skills in critical path analysis
- Experience in Ophthalmology/gene therapy drug development would be an advantage, but not essential
- Experience in using agile methodologies would be an advantage